Tuesday, May 27, 2008

D.ave's cherry post

The music I post will fall under one or more of these categories:
(a)Music that's unavailable on public bittorrent trackers

(b)Music that's unavailable in stores

(c)Music you might not have heard of

(d)Heavy grooves that rule

(e)Music ripped at 320kbps, unless it's some serious bootleg shit


In addition, I don't really like describing the sound and feel of artists/albums/music very much. I think if an artist or album is verbally described, even meticulously and poetically, no matter what, there will be something lost in translation. So I tend to skip the whole "her music soars over crystal mountaintops with the grace and elegance of an albatross on a crisp winter sunrise" routine. In my books, those kinds of reviews have always seemed more self indulgent than anything else. I'm new at this, so this might change, but I think what I'll do is tag the albums I upload with 2 or 3 genres in order to offer a general idea of what the album is, give a fun fact about the album, and let you decided how it sounds.

This method coincides with a kick I'm on right now about how much I think rating/reviewing websites like Pitchfork are ruining music. While it's true that these websites can definitely expose people to new artists etc, it can also sour people to music that they've never heard before, just because some skinny-jean'd scenester gives an album a bad review because she doesn't think it's "Indie" enough. In doing so, websites like Pitchfork and Allmusic decide what is good and what is bad.
On a ten point scale of course. Because if it can't be itemized, how can one ever decide how good it is?

Sarcasm aside, I genuinely have issues with any individual or group of individuals pretending to be "avatars of taste". What I'd rather do is have a conversation. Maybe: "Hey. Here's some shit that I think is pretty cool. What do you think?" Instead of: "If you don't like what I like, you suck". This isn't radio or TV or film. This is the internet. Right now, we have a wonderful opportunity for 2-way conversations about media, so lets utilize it together, brothers and sisters.

-D.ave

No comments: